Wednesday, February 3, 2010

All or Something

So in combine Relief Society and Priesthood we talked about commitment. It was a really great meeting. At the end the bishop got up and explain a few things that had changed his life. One of them, he explained, was that if you aren't going to do 100% at, say reading your scriptures every day, then at least do a "lousy" job and do something. He hated using that terminology, but that's the way he could explain it. An impression came to me,

"Don't let it be 'all or nothing',
Let it be all or SOMETHING."

I think that is a lot better of a description than doing a  "lousy" job. So I raised my hand and told him. He appreciated that and wrote it down. I really appreciated the impression. It will stick with me for a very long time.

I have been an 'all or nothing' kind of person on and off throughout my life. I finish something, and then when it doesn't go right or I can't find time, I just don't do it. It's not worth doing unless I can do it right, right?? NO!!
The bishop shared an example of doing "all or something." There was a sister that didn't enjoy reading the scriptures, but when she had heard a talk about it, she decided that she was going to hold the scriptures for 30 seconds every day, because at least it was something. Then a few days later she decide to flip it open, since she had it in her hands. In just a few weeks her life, and the life of her family were changed forever. She loves the scriptures and reading them. Her family has been blessed by her reading the scriptures and she has become closer to her Heavenly Father. This sister found blessing promised her by President Hinckley.  President Hinckley promised us this if we read the Book of Mormon.



We studied the Book of Mormon in Sunday School this past year. Nonetheless I offer a challenge to members of the Church throughout the world and to our friends everywhere to read or reread the Book of Mormon. If you will read a bit more than one and one-half chapters a day, you will be able to finish the book before the end of this year. Very near the end of its 239 chapters, you will find a challenge issued by the prophet Moroni as he completed his record nearly 16 centuries ago. Said he:
“And I exhort you to remember these things; for the time speedily cometh that ye shall know that I lie not, for ye shall see me at the bar of God; and the Lord God will say unto you: Did I not declare my words unto you, which were written by this man, like as one crying from the dead, yea, even as one speaking out of the dust? …
“And God shall show unto you, that that which I have written is true” (Moro. 10:27, 29).

Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God.

from: A Testimony Vibrant and True


All or Something

DO something, even if it's just PART of something. You never know what great habit your going to get yourself in to. Attending church or the temple, keeping the Word of Wisdom, reading the scriptures, reading any uplifting books, reading church magazines, exercising, building a talent... the list goes on and on! Even if it just a little bit each day or week, it is SOMETHING. And something is WAY better than NOTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment